Other books that discuss the history of computing include:
- From Bits to Bitcoins, Mark Day
- The Computer: A History, Mark Frauenfelder
Below is a list of milestones that readers think are “missing.” But if we put in these milestones, which ones would we have had to take out?
- Guy Steele and Bernie Greenberg
- Symbolics and the LISP machines
- Macsyma or its successor Mathematica and Stephen Wolfram, which through curated databases and Wolfram Language represents really “computable knowledge.”
- Ted Nelson and Xanadu, which was seminal if under-appreciated.
- NeXT Computer, which NextStep was important as precursor to macOS, plus for a while it was the most important computer music platform, plus the original web prototype (via Tim Berners-Lee).
- Steve Jobs’ 5 seminal contributions to the world: Mac, iPod, Pixar (partial credit), iPhone, iPad